If you love spuds, today is your day because it’s National Potato Day! Potatoes have been a popular food item for centuries and it’s time for the humble potato to take centre stage. In truth, potatoes are a staple in most meals. With their versatility and ap-peeling flavour, they are delicious mashed, roasted, boiled, fried, or when prepared in many other ways!
Potatoes offer so much. First of all, they are delicious and easy to cook with. Second, they are very beneficial for our health. They are loaded with vitamin C and potassium (more than a banana!) and contain no fat or cholesterol. This vegetable is a protein powerhouse with high levels of quality protein for an extra boost to your day. All in all, potatoes are perfect for meals and snacks – healthy, satisfying and affordable.
National Potato Activities
- Know your roots: There are more than 4,000 kinds of potatoes – try a new variety.
- Try new recipes: There are so many ways to cook and bake with potatoes. Invite your friends or family over for a ‘spudtacular’ celebration.
- Make a craft: Try making stamps out of potatoes with your children or friends.
- EAT: It’s National Potato Day, so get out there and eat potatoes!
Potato Day Facts
- French fries are the most popular way to eat potatoes, with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, and hash browns following behind.
- Potatoes are about 80% water and 20% solids.
- There are more than 4,000 different kinds of potatoes.
- The potato was the first vegetable grown in space.
- Potatoes are one of the most commonly consumed vegetables.
National Potato Day is just so…spudtacular! Enjoy!